I’ve watched our team play in open gym for a couple weeks now and as a result feel like I have a pretty good idea of what our offensive strengths will be once the season starts. Our posts are relatively young but skilled and our perimeter shooting is better than it’s been the last couple seasons.
We might be a little thin at point gaurd but we do have a 2 and a 3 that could fill in if our backup struggles. Taking all this into consideration I am going to tweak our offense a little bit. I have several ideas but haven’t made any definite decisions yet.
Here are 6 questions that I am constantly asking myself while considering what changes to make:
- Is it simple enough to learn?
- Are there enough scoring options?
- Can I get our best scorers the most shots?
- Will it get better the more we run it?
- Can we develop good enough passing skills to make this effective?
- Am I making things more complicated than they need to be?
As you evaluate your own offense, try asking yourself those same 6 questions. If you can honestly answer them with 5 “yesses” and 1 “no” then you are undoubtedly running the right offense for your team!