Here are the 5 basic essentials of getting into a triple threat position:
- Catch the ball off your Inside Foot. Some players have a permanent pivot foot but I think it’s much more effective to pivot on the foot closest to the basket.
- Get in and maintain an athletic stance. Feet shoulder width apart, knees bent, butt down, back straight, and weight evenly distributed.
- Place ball on the shooting side. In an athletic stance the ball will be somewhere between your hip and shoulder.
- Keep getting lower. Catch the ball low. Get even lower as you pivot and square up to the basket. Get even lower still as you start to drive.
- Hard,quick, violent foot fakes. The defense has to think your jab steps and foot fakes are real so soft, slow fakes are useless.